What You Should Know
The State of Delaware is working with federal and local partners to ensure all Delaware children and school staff have safe and clean drinking water.
With the support of a grant from the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Delaware Department of Education (DOE) and the Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) began a sampling initiative in Delaware schools in October 2020 to identify the levels of lead within the drinking water system.
Read Letter to Families Information Sheet for Parents
What is the State doing now?
- Re-confirming with our school partners that every single consumption point fixture at 7.5 ppb (0.0075 mg/L) is shut off, and that there is an alternative for clean water until a fix is completed.
- Working with schools, health care partners, and our agencies to ensure free and accessible testing is available to families.
- Working closely with the EPA on the next steps of managing remediation and retesting.
- Contracting with private firm to test school drinking water
- Clarifying next steps and a communications plan
Questions? Send a message to the Delaware Department of Education and the Division of Public Health about Lead in Drinking Water
Screening & Testing
There are two types of tests for the presence of elevated blood lead levels: Finger Sticks/Capillary Test (known as a lead screening) and Blood Tests (known as a Venous test).
While lead in water is concerning, an elevated blood lead level in a child may be from another exposure source, like dust, paint chips, or soil. Regardless of the source, if a screening/capillary test result is 3.5 µg/dL or higher, a confirmatory blood test will be required. For a lead education fact sheet for families and staff, click here. (Spanish) (Haitian Creole)
Where to Find Lead Screenings:
- Pediatrician or primary care provider
- DPH Community Health Services Mobile Unit
- Select State Service Centers
- Hudson State Service Center, Public Health Clinic: 501 Ogletown Road, Newark DE 19711, 302-283-5757 ext. 3
- Porter State Service Center, Public Health Clinic: 509 W. 8th St., Wilmington DE 19801, 302-777-2860
- Williams State Service Center, Public Health Clinic: 805 River Rd., Dover DE 19901, 302-857-5140
- Milford State Service Center at the Riverwalk, Public Health Clinic: 253 NE Front St., Milford DE 19963, 302-424-7140
- Thurman Adams State Service Center, Public Health Clinic: 544 S. Bedford St., Georgetown DE 19947, 302-515-3174
- Anna C. Shipley State Service Center, Public Health Clinic: 350 Virginia Ave., Seaford DE 19973, 302-628-6772